Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Saturday, April 30, 2005

"Going in the Right Direction" by Robert Randolph & the Family Band

Connect with Scripture: Luke 15:16-24
“And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.
[17] "But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! [18] I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. [19] I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants." '
And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. [21] And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'
[22] But the father said to his servants, 'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. [23] And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. [24] For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to celebrate.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

Unclassified
Today’s Song: “Going in the Right Direction” by Robert Randolph & the Family Band from the album, Unclassified

1. I was lost
I thought the losing dice were tossed
Didn’t know where to go
Didn’t have no one to turn to
I’m glad I found you just in time
I won’t miss those things I left behind

Chorus
Now I’m going in the right direction
Going in the right direction

2. Now I’ve found
The road I need to travel down
I don’t know what tomorrow brings
Day by day with you I’ll do the same thing
I’m so glad I’m standing on my own two feet
No more running into that dead end street

Bridge
You better get right
Or you’re gonna get left

Music & lyrics by Robert Randolph © 2003, Happy Fingers Publishing
robertrandolph.net
warnerbrosrecords.com

Behind the Music
1. Stanza 1, how does this describe being separated from God?
2. Stanza 1, how does this describe the prodigal son?
3. Chorus, what does it mean to be “going in the right direction”? Is that Law or Gospel?
4. What is Gospel in the parable of the prodigal son?
5. When you find people around you that are lost in their sins, what would get them “going in the right direction”? Remember: Gospel. Gospel. Gospel.
6. Stanza 2, how does this stanza shift to what Jesus said in Matthew 7:13-14: “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. ”?
7. Stanza 2, how could this stanza sound like we need to keep ourselves holy to stay with God?
How can you understand it with a Gospel-focus?
8. Bridge, what does the song mean by “you’re gonna get left”? How do we get right?