Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Friday, December 10, 2004

"Let a Good Thing Go" by Gemma Hayes

Night on My Side
Today’s Song: “Let a Good Thing Go” by Gemma Hayes, from the album, Night on My Side
Video available on the U.S. Enhanced CD version
For full album review, click here.

1. In the shade of every moment I bled
Such a sorrow was to be expected

Chorus
I let a good thing go
I let a good thing go

2. Now every feeling it kicks me to the bone
And takes me under to a place that I have known
There goes my quiet life I used to keep me warm
In the shade of this moment I am born

Chorus
I let a good thing go
I let a good thing go

3. In the shade of every moment I bled
Such a sorrow was to be expected

Chorus
I let a good thing go
I let a good thing go
Good thing go

By Gemma Hayes, © 2003 Mawlaw 388/Source 360/Astralwerks. Lyrics reprinted by kind permission.

Behind the Music
1. How could this song be about the end of a relationship?
2. What makes it difficult to walk away from the relationship?
3. Is the speaker confident that it was the best choice to end it?

Connect with Scripture: Philippians 2:5-8
[5] Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, [6] who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, [7] but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, [8] he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

4. How could “Let a Good Thing Go” be about Christ leaving heaven to come to Earth?
5. Stanza 1, How did Christ bleed in every moment of his life on Earth? How was “such a sorrow to be expected”? What was God the Father’s will for Jesus?
6. Stanza 2, “There goes my quiet life I used to keep me warm” seems to be further explaining the Chorus, “I let a good thing go.” What were the things that Christ gave up according to Philippians?
7. Stanza 2, Reading the line “takes me to a place that I have known” to be Christ saying He is going to Earth, the place He created, to the people He created and knows, then what feeling “kicks me to the bone”? In other words, what do you learn from Philippians about why Christ came to Earth?
8. Stanza 2, “In the shade of this moment I am born” could put this song in line with the Christmas hymn, “From Heaven Above to Earth I Come.” See lyrics below. Discuss.

Connect with Scripture: Colossians 3:1-5,12-17
[1] If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. [2] Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. [3] For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. [4] When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. [5] Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

[12] Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, [13] bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. [14] And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. [15] And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. [16] Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. [17] And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

9. How could “Let a Good Thing Go” be about becoming a Christian and changing your ways? According to Colossians, what changes does God work in our lives through His Holy Spirit in our hearts?
10. Stanza 1, How is there sorrow in choosing the narrow way of Christ?
11. Chorus, “I let a good thing go” sounds like someone looking back on the things they enjoyed, perhaps sinful things, that they had to let go when they became a Christian. What were some of the things that are on earth that were most difficult for you to set aside?
12. Stanza 2, “Now every feeling it kicks me to the bone,” how does people around us react to our changed lives, our commitment to follow Christ, and how are their taunts, jeers, temptations, etc., like the feeling of the speaker in Stanza 2?
13. Stanza 2, “In the shade of this moment I am born” could make this song to be about being born again. Looking at the things that Colossians says comes from this rebirth, how do you know that this rebirth must come from God’s action alone?

Credits
By Gemma Hayes, © 2003 Mawlaw 388/Source 360/Astralwerks. Lyrics reprinted by kind permission.

Scripture quotations from English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

For full album review, click here.