Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

"The Devil in Me" by Cliff Eberhardt

Connect with Scripture: James 1:12-18
12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

12 Songs of Good & Evil
Today’s Song: “The Devil in Me,” by Cliff Eberhardt, from the album, 12 Songs of Good & Evil

1. Some think I'm good, some say I'm bad
A little bit of trouble gets the whole town mad
Sometimes it's true, at times I lie
Some tell me it's a force from the other side

Chorus
You can disapprove but you can't blame me
This isn't my fault - it's the devil in me

2. How can it be trouble if it feels so good?
Doing everything nobody else would
The preacher tells me that I'm having too much fun
He's a no good back-sliding son of a gun

Chorus
You can point your finger but don't look at me
It isn't my fault - it's the devil in me

3. Sometimes I'd like to paint the whole town red
Make a whole lot of noise and wake up the dead
It must be a sin to be so alive
They want to put out the fire and the passion inside

4. Some think I'm good, some say I'm bad
Some wish they had the kind of life that I've had
Sometimes it's true, everybody lies
Hiding from their neighbors what they do inside

Chorus
You can blame yourself, but you can't blame me
It isn't my fault - it's the devil in me

© 1997 Group Denial Music, Cherry River Music Co./BMI

Cliff: vocal, dobro Dave Richards: bass

Behind the Music
1. Stanza 1, how do other people think about the speaker (the character in Cliff’s song while in first person may or may not refer to Cliff himself)?
2. Stanza 1, what do some say is the cause of the speaker’s behavior?
3. Chorus, who does the speaker blame for his actions?
4. Where does the passage from James put the blame for sin?
5. Stanza 2, why does the speaker have trouble believing that his actions are wrong?
6. Stanza 2, what does the preacher tell him?
7. Stanza 2, what does the speaker think about the preacher?
8. Have you ever had someone react this way when you’ve pointed out their sin? What do we need to do to be more winsome in our message?
9. Chorus, what is the devil’s role in our sin?
10. Stanza 3, when the speaker is told to stop sinning, what does he feel like he is losing? Do we really have to lose this when we live as Christians?
11. Stanza 4, have you ever been jealous of someone because they sin freely while you try to remain true to God?
12. Stanza 4, what are you hiding from your neighbors? How could a Christian brother or sister help you with this hidden sin?
13. According to the passage from James, how has God transformed us from our sinfulness?

Credits
Lyrics copyright Cliff Eberhardt & Group Denial Music, Cherry River Music Co./BMI

Red House Records
Cliff Eberhardt