Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Monday, March 08, 2004

"Cautious Springtime Blues" by Jonathan Rundman (2nd Sunday in Lent)

Connect with Scripture: Genesis 12:1-7
The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.
“I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”

So Abram left, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran. He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.

Abram traveled through the land as far as the site of the great tree of Moreh at Shechem. At that time the Canaanites were in the land. The LORD appeared to Abram and said, “To your offspring I will give this land.” So he built an altar there to the LORD, who had appeared to him.

Sound Theology
Today’s Song: “Cautious Springtime Blues” by Jonathan Rundman, from the album, Sound Theology - Disc One)
1. someday all my money will be guaranteed
someday all my money will be sure
someday all my money will come back to me
and there will be no more of these
cautious springtime blues

2. someday my sweet baby will be guaranteed
someday my sweet baby will be sure
someday my sweet baby will come back to me
and there will be no more of these
cautious springtime blues

Bridge
yeah, i think i need some air
i think i need some air
i need to step outside

3. someday all my daydreams will be guaranteed
someday all my daydreams will be sure
someday all my daydreams
will come back to me
and there will be no more of these
cautious springtime blues

Matt Throbe: drums
Mike Bradburn: bass
Jonathan: electric guitar, amped acoustic guitar, vocals

Jonathan’s comments on “Cautious Springtime Blues”
When I wrote this song in 1995 I didn’t know what it was about, but then the meaning totally unfolded about two years later. It’s cool when songs reveal themselves after they’re written.

Jonathan’s Questions to Ponder
Are there certain seasons of the year that are more difficult for you?
What do you think causes that?

Behind the Music
1. Stanza 1, what kinds of money worries does he refer to?
2. Stanza 2, what kinds of relationship issues does he refer to?
3. What kinds of worries did Abram face?
4. Bridge, what does this lyric have to do with the worries he’s been talking about?
5. Stanza 3, what kinds of daydreams does he refer to?
6. What were the dreams or vision given to Abram?
7. When is “someday”—for Abram, for us?
6. Why is a blues song the right vehicle for these thoughts?
What connection can you see between the blues and Gospel music?
7. Why are these cautious springtime blues?
8. What does springtime have to do with these thoughts?
9. Do you think Abram was cautious or sang the blues?

Lyrics, comments, and questions reprinted with the kind permission of Jonathan Rundman.

Jonathan wrote these songs with an eye to the Lutheran Book of Worship appointed readings for each week of the church year but has told me that he does not necessarily connect a specific reading with each song. Therefore, the reading I have selected to use for reflection is my choice and not Jonathan's.

Click here to find out about Jonathan Rundman or his record label, Salt Lady Records
Click here to read my review of Sound Theology.