Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Thursday, December 02, 2004

"Negative Vibes" by Damien Dempsey

Connect with Scripture: Ephesians 2:1-9
[1]And you were dead in the trespasses and sins [2] in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— [3] among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. [4] But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, [5] even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved— [6] and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, [7] so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. [8] For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, [9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

Damien Dempsey
Today’s Song: “Negative Vibes” by Damien Dempsey, from the album, Seize the Day
For full album review, click here.

Chorus
Lord, won’t you give me the strength to be strong, and be true
Cos, Lord, when the devil gets into my head, I'm so blue
Lord, won’t you give me the strength to be strong, and be true

1. You knock me, if you're so mighty, why waste your time with me
If I'm bad, ignorant, and sad, why waste your time,
You're mad, you're just mad, because your life is sad,
You've done nothing worthwhile,
Twist the knife, because you hate your life,
My life you want to spoil

Chorus 2
I'm never going to let your negative vibes and comments
Get through to my psyche and cripple me
I'm never going to let your negative vibes and comments
Get through to my psyche and cripple me
I never will forget the suffering that my people went through,
In my country and overseas
I'm never going to let your negative vibes and comments
Get through to my psyche and cripple me

Chorus 1

2. We’re no use, verbal abuse
That’s all you have to give.
You preach nil, you're so cynical
Jesus, wake up and live
Your bad vibe will drive away your tribe
And where will you be then?
All alone, heart as cold as stone, hurting yourself again, well...

Chorus 2

Chorus 1

Repeat Stanza 2

Chorus 2

By Damien Dempsey, © 2004 Attack/Sanctuary Records Group, Inc. Published by Northside Songs.

Behind the Music
1. Chorus, how does the chorus sound like a prayer in true faith?
2. Stanza 1, assuming the verses speak to God, how does this stanza reject the true faith?
3. Stanza 1, what about this stanza may be a heartfelt prayer of humility and truth faith?
4. Stanza 1, where does the speaker turn the blame on God?
5. According to Ephesians 2:1-3, who is to blame for our “spoiled life”?
6. Stanza 2, if this is addressed to God, what would you tell the speaker about God’s role in the negatives of life?
7. Stanza 2, if this is addressed to the devil, how is it a rejection of the devil’s lies?
8. Stanza 3, what charges are thrown at Jesus here?
9. Stanza 3, how does the last lines (“and when will you then….”) show an incorrect understanding of the cross?
10. How does Ephesians 2:4-8 help explain the true meaning of the cross?
11. The song begins with the chorus asking for strength over the devil’s blue thoughts. How could stanzas 1, 2 and 3 be a reflection of what we think “when the devil gets into my head”?
12. Look at Job 7:1-21 (see below). Where does Job ask the same kinds of questions about God that “Negative Vibes” asks?
13. Look at Job 7:16-17. How is Job asking the same question as Dempsey does in Stanza 1, “Why waste your time with me?”
14. What hope is in Ephesians 2:1-8 that isn’t in “Negative Vibes” or in Job 7:1-21?

Credits
By Damien Dempsey
© 2004 Attack/Sanctuary Records Group, Inc. Published by Northside Songs.

For full album review, click here.

Job 7:1-21
"Has not man a hard service on earth,
and are not his days like the days of a hired hand?
[2] Like a slave who longs for the shadow,
and like a hired hand who looks for his wages,
[3] so I am allotted months of emptiness,
and nights of misery are apportioned to me.
[4] When I lie down I say, 'When shall I arise?'
But the night is long,
and I am full of tossing till the dawn.
[5] My flesh is clothed with worms and dirt;
my skin hardens, then breaks out afresh.
[6] My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
and come to their end without hope.
[7] "Remember that my life is a breath;
my eye will never again see good.
[8] The eye of him who sees me will behold me no more;
while your eyes are on me, I shall be gone.
[9] As the cloud fades and vanishes,
so he who goes down to Sheol does not come up;
[10] he returns no more to his house,
nor does his place know him anymore.
[11] "Therefore I will not restrain my mouth;
I will speak in the anguish of my spirit;
I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
[12] Am I the sea, or a sea monster,
that you set a guard over me?
[13] When I say, 'My bed will comfort me,
my couch will ease my complaint,'
[14] then you scare me with dreams
and terrify me with visions,
[15] so that I would choose strangling
and death rather than my bones.
[16] I loathe my life; I would not live forever.
Leave me alone, for my days are a breath.
[17] What is man, that you make so much of him,
and that you set your heart on him,
[18] visit him every morning
and test him every moment?
[19] How long will you not look away from me,
nor leave me alone till I swallow my spit?
[20] If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of mankind?
Why have you made me your mark?
Why have I become a burden to you?
[21] Why do you not pardon my transgression
and take away my iniquity?
For now I shall lie in the earth;
you will seek me, but I shall not be."

English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.