Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Monday, April 25, 2005

"I Have Forgiven Jesus" by Morrissey

You Are the Quarry
Today’s Song: “I Have Forgiven Jesus” by Morrissey from the album, You Are the Quarry
Morrissey was the lead singer of the 80’s band, the Smith. The Smiths coupled Morrissey’s heart-on-his-sleeve lyrics with Johnny Marr’s heart-wrenching electric guitar. Morrissey’s solo career has rarely achieved such glory, but this recent album finds him in fine form. Known for his “celibate pride,” it has always been unclear whether Morrissey is gay, straight, bisexual, or asexual as he claims.

“I Have Forgiven Jesus”
1. I was a good kid, I wouldn't do you no harm,
I was a nice kid, With a nice paper round
Forgive me any pain, I may have brung to you,
With God's help I know, I'll always be near to you

Chorus
But Jesus hurt me,
When he deserted me, but,
I have forgiven you Jesus
For all the desire,
He placed in me when there's nothing I can do
with this desire

2. I was a good kid,
Through hail and snow, I'd go
just to moon you,
I carried my heart in my hand
Do you understand, Do you understand?

Chorus

Bridge
Monday - humiliation,
Tuesday - suffocation,
Wednesday - condescension,
Thursday - is pathetic
By Friday life has killed me,
By Friday life has killed me,
Oh pretty one, Oh pretty one

3. Why did you give me so much desire,
When there is nowhere I can go to offload this desire?
And why did you give me so much love in a loveless world,
When there is no one I can turn to
To unlock all this love?
And why did you stick in self deprecating bones and skin?
Jesus, do you hate me?
Why did you stick in self deprecating bones and skin?
Do you hate me? Do you hate me?
Do you hate me? Do you hate me?

Lyrics by Morrissey, © 2004 Sanctuary Records Group, Inc.

Connect with Scripture: Romans 1:24-27
[24] Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, [25] because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

[26] For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; [27] and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

Behind the Music
1. In what ways does this song seem to suggest that Morrissey is struggling with homosexual feelings?
2. Could there be other explanations for his struggles with his feelings?
3. In what way does his struggle reveal that he has given up to “dishonorable passions”? In what ways does the song show him resisting those passions?
4. Who is blamed in the song for his feelings?
5. Are there any sins you struggle against that you have trouble believing that God meant for you to stop doing?
6. How do you think you should react to someone who is struggling with feelings like those in this song?

Connect with Scripture: Romans 1:28-2:1
[28] And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. [29] They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, [30] slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, [31] foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. [32] Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

[2:1] Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

Behind the Music
7. According to this passage, are we any different than someone like Morrissey? What does this tell us about how to treat those who are homosexual, promiscuous, habitual liars, drug users, alcoholics, etc.?
8. Bridge/Stanza 3, what kind of feelings does this struggle produce in Morrissey? Do you think any of those feelings are caused by how other people react to his struggle?

Connect with Scripture: Romans 3:21-24
But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—[22] the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: [23] for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, [24] and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

Behind the Music
9. What does Morrissey need to hear from these verses?
10. What do you need to hear from these verses when it comes to your struggles?
11. How could you share this hope with people who are struggling with sins—especially sins you might find really distasteful, gross, or a big problem?

Credits
Lyrics by Morrissey, © 2004 by Sanctuary Records Group.
Morrissey
Attack/Sanctuary Records