Using contemporary songs to illuminate Scripture and life

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

"Help With These Blues" by Blues Explosion

Damage
Today’s Song: “Help With These Blues” by Blues Explosion, from the album, Damage
For full album review, click here.

Announcement
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!
It is an honor to be here tonight to be with you everybody.
I want to say, “Hello, and welcome to the party!”
We are Blues Explosion!
And we want to play some rock ‘n’ roll.
Now, ladies and gentlemen, this is NOT the devil’s music,
But it feels like the devil’s time.
And we are NOT in the service of the devil,
But sometimes I feel his sick breath on my behind.
I said, I feel so bad sometimes,
I want to sing about it in my song.
I want everybody,
I said, I want everybody. . .

1. I want someone to help me with these blues
I want to hang up my rock ‘n’ roll shoes
Take one in my head
And one off the wrist
Won’t you help me,
Please help me, Miss.
Check it out now!

2. Gonna rip your mind,
Destroy your health,
What good is wine
When you need help?

3. I didn’t need anyone, I thought I knew it all,
Before I used to walk,
But now I only crawl,
This burning cross, this life that you choose,
Won’t someone please, please help me with these blues.

4. Well, I’ve been feeling bad, so down far so long,
But work I got, I gotta lift up some sweet sad song
And play some blues.
If you want help,
We’re killing blues
And play some blues.

5. But I’m so tired of this misery,
Come on, and please, baby, please, baby, set me free,
Burn these clothes, throw away this key,
Kiss me now, honey, set me free.

6. Gonna rip your mind,
Destroy your health,
What good is wine
When your soul needs help?

7. I see the sky turn red,
Feel the earth does move,
And I know, and I know in my heart,
I said, I said, I said, I said,
I need help with these blues.

By Blues Explosion, © 2004 Blues Explosion. Published by Dirty Shirt (BMI). Lyrics reprinted with the kind permission of Blues Explosion and Sanctuary Records Group. (Transcribed by SongDevotions. Please email me any corrections).

Connect with Scripture: 1 Peter 5:6-11
[6] Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, [7] casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. [8] Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. [9] Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. [10] And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. [11] To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Behind the Music
1. Announcement, In the Announcement, Spencer says that he “can feel [the devil’s] sick breath on my behind.” How does that match the image Peter uses to talk about the devil?
2. Where in the song does Spencer ask for help against the devil (and the blues he brings)? Where do those requests sound like prayers? Where does the 1 Peter passage speak about where we can expect help in dealing with the devil’s temptations?
3. Announcement, Peter says, “Be sober-minded; be watchful….Resist [the devil.]” Some have said that rock musicians have not resisted the devil, and this is apparently what Spencer is referring to when in the Announcement he says, “This is NOT the devil’s music….We are NOT in the service of the devil.” Do you agree or disagree? Could Blues Rock music be about resisting the devil?
4. Announcement, Spencer says that “it feels like the devil’s time.” What makes you think that this might be the devil’s time, that he’s prowling around today?

Connect with Scripture: 1 Corinthians 10:12-13
[12] Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. [13] No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Behind the Music
5. Announcement, In the Announcement, Spencer says that he “can feel [the devil’s] sick breath on my behind.” When you feel like the devil is on your tail, tempting you and challenging your faith in God, how could the verses from 1 Corinthians give you comfort?
6. When has God given you a way of escape during a temptation that allowed you to resist or avoid a sin? When has God given you a way of escape but you ignored it and chose to sin?
7. Stanza 3, How is Stanza 3 a realization of the truth in 1 Corinthians 10:12?
8. Stanza 7, Spencer seems to be referencing signs of the end of the world—red sky/burning sun and earthquakes. Why does it take disasters and tragedies to get us to admit that we “need help with these blues,” that we need help with sin and death?
9. Look again at 1 Peter 5:10. How could this verse answer Spencer’s growling call for help?

Credits
“Help With These Blues” © 2004 Blues Explosion. Published by Dirty Shirt (BMI). Lyrics reprinted with the kind permission of Blues Explosion and Sanctuary Records Group.

Scripture quotations from English Standard Version, Copyright(C) 2000; 2001 by Crossway Bibles. All Rights Reserved.

For full album review, click here.